Good evening bloggers!
Once again I am up past my old-person bedtime of 10 and currently sitting in my dorm’s office, where I will remain until 2am. You may be wondering why?!
I go to UMASS, which has that oh-so-lovely status of being a party school, aka UMASS Slamherst, so clever! There are 5 major residential areas of campus, and I am a Residential Adviser (RA) in the area with the worst reputation for being the most out of control. Tonight I am “on-duty” meaning I set up in the main office of my dorm’s building for 6 hours, and walk around every so often to see if anyone is in danger in anyway, usually involving (if not all the time) involving too much alcohol.
I work in all freshman, coed building. There are 9 staff members, including myself and we each have a set number of residents, I have the most with 54. An all freshman building + coed floors + the party central of campus= recipe for disaster and cray stories 😀
What people do and how they behave never ceases to amaze me and actually makes me fear for the future (especially on Friday and Saturday nights)! Here a few events I have encountered, and some have been really scary!
- One of my residents was growing weed in his room- he was kicked out.
- Another was keeping a hamster in her room, against the rules.
- I have almost stepped/walked into throw up that has been outside my room or all over the bathroom, classy.
- There was a fairly serious fire in one of the rooms on my floor. A candle was lit, the girls left the room and forgot, and the entire room went up in flames. They were expelled 😦
- When everyone first moved in, our building violated fire safety codes by having an enormous pile of boxes blocking emergency doors on each floor. Apparently its no big thing to have giant, flat-screen televisions while at school! I was awoken at 4am by very angry fire and policemen and told to clear the pile asap. Twas scary!
- Last Wednesday, I woke up to go pee in the middle of the night and found one of my residents and a guy from another floor having sex in the shower. That was awkward situation to say the least. :p
- Some of the guy staff members have had to call emergency maintained because some dude decided it would be HILARIOUS to POOP right in the middle of the bathroom floor. Gross.
- A resident came up to me recently complaining she was being “sexiled” too often from her own room. I had to go tell the roommate to calm down a bit.
- Countless calls to ambulances because people were dangerously intoxicated and needed to be transported to the hospital for help.
Those are the more memorable issues I have encountered, and I’m sure as the weather gets warmer, the freshman will become even more rambunctious, joy! Reflecting on these does make me laugh though and I have shared many of these times with my wonderful co-workers all of who I have become good friends with.
Q: Is/has anyone been an RA? Were your college experiences pretty (or very!) crazy at times? I would love to hear some stories, it would make 2 am come much faster 🙂